Restaurant | Celebrating a Birthday at Tom’s Kitchen

Dining, Review, Tom's Kitchen, London, Fdbloggers, Restaurant, St Katharine Docks
Dining, Review, Tom's Kitchen, London, Fdbloggers, Restaurant, St Katharine Docks
The Book a Table and Open Table apps are my new favourites and I’ve currently got about 20 emails in my inbox of places I’d like to go to. For mum’s birthday (now a fortnight ago!), I booked the Star Deal at Tom’s Kitchen, St. Katharine Docks – a welcome cocktail, three courses and tea or coffee for a mere £25pp. My brother joined us after work and three of us enjoyed a pre-drink at The Dickens Inn, before walking around the quayside to the restaurant.

The location itself is absolutely beautiful – I had never been before but there are so many eateries and it’s a nice place to walk, especially when the sun is shining on the water. Plus all the mega yachts are amazing; it’s like being in Puerto Banus or somewhere! Tom’s Kitchen is modern and minimalist, both inside and out; the floor is open plan so it’s really spacious and there was that lovely relaxed vibe.

Upon arrival, the staff wished mum a ‘Happy Birthday’ and we were shown to our table, in the middle of the restaurant. The window tables were hugely popular and were set for two, so perfect for a date – especially when you consider the views. While we looked at the set menus, the bartender made our welcome cocktails: strawberry bellinis, one of my favourites. The set menu had plenty of choice with three or four options for each course and it was very difficult deciding what to have.
Dining, Review, Tom's Kitchen, London, Fdbloggers, Restaurant, St Katharine Docks
To start, I had the gazpacho with tapenade-topped croutons. It’s something I don’t have often and have only ever eaten in Spain a handful of times, but it was perfect considering the weather. It was beautiful: rich and spicy with plenty of flavour and chunky veg. We all chose different starters: mum had the potted & smoked salmon, while Robert opted for the ham hock terrine. Everything was so well presented – I particularly liked the Tom’s Kitchen branded paper.
Dining, Review, Tom's Kitchen, London, Fdbloggers, Restaurant, St Katharine Docks
We all decided on the same main course – the minute steak, which came with seasoned fries, a mixed leaf salad and pot of béarnaise sauce. As someone who often opts for their meat blue or rare, this steak was cooked to perfection and we were pre-warned that it would be pink; although I’m sure it wouldn’t have been a problem to have it cooked a little longer if required. The steak was already seasoned, although I added pepper to suit my taste. The portion sizes were generous – I couldn’t eat all the fries, but the salad was fresh and luckily, undressed. I had never had béarnaise sauce before and I still don’t know what to make of it; bordelaise or peppercorn all the way!
Dining, Review, Tom's Kitchen, London, Fdbloggers, Restaurant, St Katharine Docks
Mum and I opted for the same dessert: apricot bakewell tart with crème fraiche sorbet – and it was absolutely heavenly. Freshly baked, the pastry wasn’t overly sweet and the filling was unbelievably moreish. The crème fraiche sorbet made it though, I could have eaten scoop after scoop. Robert went for the chocolate & peanut butter fondant that looked very rich, but perfect for chocoholics. It must have been tasty – he absolutely demolished it.

Before ordering our Americanos, another waiter brought over an espresso martini and our original waiter then explained it was complimentary and part of her birthday meal. Honestly, every member of staff was lovely and they really went above and beyond to make it a special occasion. Mum had never had an espresso martini before, even though I rave about them all the time – and of course, I had to have a sip and it was a good one! We all really appreciated the effort the staff went to; from the welcome to the moment we left, they couldn’t have done any more for us. And if that wasn’t enough, we also received 10% off – both on the food and on the carafe of wine we shared with the steak.

There are several branches of Tom’s Kitchen across London and I’ll be sure to go back, especially to St. Katharine Docks. The a la carte menu is reasonably priced, so I’ll definitely try that next time.

Love, Lucy xx

No comments

Post a Comment

Enjoyed this post? Let me know. Leave a comment, or find me on social!
Love, Lucy xx

Professional Blog Designs by pipdig