Restaurant review: Catch


Where we ate:
Catch, Queens Road, Buckhurst Hill
So last month I wrote about my first visit to Catch in Buckhurst Hill. I went again last Friday night and if it was even remotely possible, this meal was even better! Three of us went this time and although we were positioned appropriately next to the dance floor, we were soon given the option to sit elsewhere, due to a cancellation.
Like the previous time, Nicky was really friendly and came over to speak to us a couple of times. That’s the sign of a good restaurant I think, when the owner genuinely has time for all their diners and it’s one of the best things about Catch. Again, there was a singer and I think that’s commonplace for a Friday evening service. Molly Rainford, of Britain’s Got Talent fame was also singing, alongside the main act.
It wasn’t as busy as last time, but I can only assume that’s because there was no big party and obviously there were a couple of last-minute cancellations. This made it a lot easier to talk though and I didn’t feel so drowned out by the music.
What we drank:
Kim – Lime & soda followed by diet coke
Me – Rossinis
Nad – vodka & cokes
Last time I sampled the Bellini (a classic cocktail of champagne and peach puree) and I continued to work my way through the cocktail menu this time. I went for the Rossini (champagne and strawberry liquor) and it was absolutely beautiful – to the extent I had two!
What we ate:
Kim – Garlic & chilli prawns with a side of chunky chips, followed by sticky toffee pudding with ice cream
Me – Crispy fried calamari with a house mixed salad, followed by smashed meringue with seasonal fruits
Nad – Cod and chunky chips with baked beans, followed by chocolate ice cream

Smashed Meringue
After looking at the menu online after the previous visit (and Friday afternoon!) and I already knew I was going to go for the calamari. It’s one of those things I only ever eat on holiday (it’s a kind of must-have tapas dish in Spain) and I absolutely love it! It was served in a little metal basket (like the side order of chips and I’m assuming a number of other starters) and there were even some tentacle bits hiding in the portion – which are my absolute faves (yes, I’m a little weird). I made an excellent choice, I must admit and even though I had ordered from the starter menu, there was more than enough and I was glad I’d got an accompanying salad and not anything heavy and carb-based.
Sticky Toffee Pudding
For dessert I went for the smashed meringue again and it was a lot nicer than the last time. This time the fruit was raspberries, not blueberries and it was basically just a really nice Eton mess. Kim made an even better choice with the sticky toffee pudding and it looked amazing (and was presented beautifully). I know I said it last time, but next time I will be definitely be sampling the brioche bread and butter pudding!
Again, it was a really lovely evening and I can have no complaints about the meal or ambience at all. I’m already looking forward to my next visit – who knows, maybe it’ll end up being a monthly treat!

No comments

Post a Comment

Enjoyed this post? Let me know. Leave a comment, or find me on social!
Love, Lucy xx

Professional Blog Designs by pipdig