Sweet Treats: apple & raisin crumble


On a winter’s day, for me there is no better dessert than a crumble, and as our neighbour recently gave us a fair amount of apples from her garden, I decided to use them and make an apple crumble. I half used Delia’s recipe from her ‘Complete Cookery Course’ book and also improvised using my own methods.
I adapted the basic crumble topping recipe, which is:
225g plain flour
75g butter (at room temperature)
75g soft brown sugar
and went for my own topping, which is my absolute favourite:
200g plain flour
25g oats
25g chopped nuts
75g butter
75g soft brown sugar
Nuts and oats make a great topping for crumble, and add a lovely crunch. I always sprinkle extra on top (with more sugar) to make it really crisp.
For the filling, I used the apples which had already been peeled and softened. I cooked them in a saucepan with a handful of raisins, a tablespoon of sugar and a teaspoon of cinnamon.
The actual recipe calls for:
900g apples (peeled, cored and sliced)
75g raisins
25g soft brown sugar
1 tsp ground cinnamon
¼ tsp ground cloves
2 tbs water
Method:
For the topping:
·         Start with the flour and add the butter
·         Using your fingertips, rub the butter into the flour
·         Add the sugar (and any other dried ingredients) and combine
·         Set aside
For the filling:
·         Place the apples, raisins, sugar and spices in a saucepan
·         Add the water and cook gently until the apples are soft and fluffy
·         Spoon the mixture into the dish
·         Add the topping, making sure it’s evenly spread but not pressed down flat
You will need to cook the crumble for 30-40 minutes on gas mark 4.

I served mine with custard (unfortunately not homemade – but Waitrose ‘low fat’) but on a sunnier day, it’s just as beautiful with ice cream.

No comments

Post a Comment

Enjoyed this post? Let me know. Leave a comment, or find me on social!
Love, Lucy xx

Professional Blog Designs by pipdig