Sweet Treats: Chocolate and coconut biscuits


It’s been ages since I’ve baked on a Wednesday and I’d been meaning to bake biscuits since I bought these gorgeous star cutters from John Lewis around Christmastime.
I got the basic biscuit recipe from one of my favourite childhood cookbooks: Jane Asher’s Eats for Treats.

Cut-out biscuits
Ingredients:
·         150g self-raising flour
·         75g butter
·         50g caster sugar
·         1 egg
·         Few drops of vanilla essence
Method:
·         Preheat the oven to gas mark 4 and grease two baking trays (or line with greaseproof paper!)
·         Pour the flour into a bowl and cut the butter in small pieces before adding to the flour. Rub together to form fine breadcrumbs
·         Add the sugar and mix with a spoon
·         Break the egg into a small cup and whisk. Add two tablespoons of egg to the mixture and add the vanilla essence
·         Mix using a spoon/fork, or hands if easier. This may take a while to form a ball
·         Knead the dough until smooth on a well-floured surface
·         Wrap the dough in Clingfilm and refrigerate for 30 minutes
·         Take out of the fridge and roll out until ¼ inch thick. Cut out shapes
·         Place on baking tray and bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown
·         Leave to cool
For the chocolate and coconut:
I had Christmas and Easter chocolate leftover so I just melted a giant chocolate coin and egg in a bain-marie. I’d hazard a guess it was about 170g of chocolate. After dipping or spreading chocolate on the biscuits, I dipped some of them in desiccated coconut, which I poured in another bowl.
Obviously you could use chopped almonds, or dried cranberries, or whatever you want.
The recipe made 30 biscuits and I used three different size cutters – obviously if you use larger cutters, you’ll make less (!)

 
Happy baking! x

No comments

Post a Comment

Enjoyed this post? Let me know. Leave a comment, or find me on social!
Love, Lucy xx

Professional Blog Designs by pipdig