Restaurant review | Loch Fyne


Where I ate:
Loch Fyne, Duke Street, Ipswich
A couple of weekends ago I had a really lovely meal at Loch Fyne in Ipswich, with Jake. The table was booked for 6 as a trip to the cinema called afterwards, but there was no need to reserve a table as the restaurant was fairly quiet at that time. We sat in my favourite part of the dining area, just around the corner from the bar in a more secluded spot; lovely to be away from the main restaurant.
There was a set menu priced at £10.45 for two courses and a side, with the option to go all out with an additional course for only £2. I knew I’d only be able to manage one course, especially with all the pick n mix and frozen fanta at the cinema, so I chose from the a la carte menu.
What I ate:
Seafood tagliatelle (scallops, clams, squid, king prawns and samphire in a white wine and cream sauce with garlic and shallots)
I never order pasta when I go to eat at restaurants; firstly because I only ever eat wholewheat pasta at home and secondly, I eat so little, I normally weigh out no more than 50g dry weight. But when I saw this dish, I didn’t bother reading the rest of the menu as my mind was made up. There was just the right amount of pasta – there’s no way I could have managed any more but I did eat it all – and it was cooked perfectly. The seafood was fresh and there was plenty of it... although I picked it all out first! The clams weren’t gritty, the scallops were really meaty and some had the coral left on and the squid was very good. My only criticism was that it wasn’t seasoned enough for me but I love to go overboard with black pepper, so it wasn’t a problem.
It was a shame I was driving as there’s plenty of choice on the wine list and a lovely cold, crisp glass of Pinot Grigio would have been the perfect accompaniment.
When it came to paying, our waiter brought over a Friends of Loch Fyne pack, which included a loyalty card and I can’t believe I wasn’t offered one sooner... I definitely recommend picking one up if you get the chance. I registered my card as soon as I got home and can’t wait to start reaping the benefits, which include:
  • A glass of champagne on my next visit (valid for up to six diners)
  • Entry into monthly draw to win a £100 gift card
  • Invitations to food and wine events
  • A glass of champagne on your birthday (for all diners in your party)
  • 10% off in the restaurant, shop or from the Loch Fyne fishmonger

No comments

Post a Comment

Enjoyed this post? Let me know. Leave a comment, or find me on social!
Love, Lucy xx

Professional Blog Designs by pipdig