I have to admit, I’m not the biggest fan of Mexican food – largely because it’s too spicy and carb-laden, not to mention all that cheese! My chicken fajita salad, however, is totally lush, packed full of veg and colour, plus it makes a super quick and easy meal. This recipe will serve two.
· Two chicken breasts, diced
· Half an onion, sliced
· Half a red pepper, sliced
· Half a green pepper, sliced
· Half a sachet of Old El Paso fajita seasoning
· One avocado, sliced
· Quarter of a cucumber, diced
· 10 cherry tomatoes, halved
· Two handfuls of mixed salad leaves or spinach
· Two tortillas, grilled/toasted
· Fry the chicken in fry light and the fajita seasoning, adding the peppers and onions according to the packet’s instructions
· Place the tortillas on plate and build your salad, beginning with the salad leaves.
· Add the tomatoes, cucumber and avocado
· Top with the chicken fajita mix
We didn’t have any to hand, but I love serving this with a dollop of sour cream or natural yogurt. If you like it spicy, salsa and jalapenos are also a good option. An alternative way to serve the salad is in a giant bowl, with shards or tortilla thrown on top, like croutons. One tortilla per person is surprisingly filling!
What are your favourite Mexican recipes? Let me know if you’ll be trying this out.
Love, Lucy xx