Blogmas #9 Pre Christmas Dinner at Le Meridien, Piccadilly

2016, Blogmas, Christmas, Dining, Le Meridien, London, Review, Terrace Grill & Bar, Piccadilly
On the ninth day of Blogmas... I’ve finally got a restaurant post! I’m obsessed with the Book a Table app and I’m forever wanting to try new restaurants in London. I received an offer for The Terrace at Le Meridien, Piccadilly and simply could not turn it down. Three courses, a glass of mulled wine and a mince pie for £35 per person – what better way to begin the season’s festivities? My work friend Fran came with me and it was something we had planned for about a month in advance; it was good to have something to look forward to.

I won’t even bore you with the details of our awful journey and late arrival, but it was an absolute nightmare. Our table was booked for 7pm and after calling the restaurant, the staff were excellent in not only holding our table but then re-booking it for a later time. We eventually arrived at 8:20. Not that it would have been a problem as upon arrival, there were tables available. The restaurant is on the second floor and while the concierge thought we were heading to  private function on the first floor (which confused us greatly), the front of house were friendly and helpful – taking our coats and guiding us to the table.
2016, Blogmas, Christmas, Dining, Le Meridien, London, Review, Terrace Grill & Bar, Piccadilly
After the trauma of traipsing across London in heels, we were in need of a drink to warm the spirits. Unfortunately, we never received our welcome glasses of mulled wine – but we didn’t let that dampen the evening and instead we ordered a bottle of wine straight away. There was only one variety of rosé on the menu, so we chose that – it was nice enough and well priced. We started on it as we re-read the short set menu.
2016, Blogmas, Christmas, Dining, Le Meridien, London, Review, Terrace Grill & Bar, Piccadilly
I struggle these days with one course, let alone three and I would never dream of ordering a starter. With that in mind, I wanted something light... now I don’t really understand why fruit would be eaten as a starter, but I opted for the trio of melon: honeydew, cantaloupe and watermelon, with raspberry jelly and passion fruit pulp. It was light and refreshing – and presented beautifully, all fanned out. After a small mix-up, Fran’s starter followed and I started to get a little food envy. She chose the roast parsnip soup and the broth was poured at the table. It was certainly seasonal and smelt delicious. I declined sampling it as it didn’t really go with my own starter.
2016, Blogmas, Christmas, Dining, Le Meridien, London, Review, Terrace Grill & Bar, Piccadilly
To follow, we both ordered the meat option (there was also a fish and vegetarian dish to choose from). Again, it was very festive: guinea fowl and confit leg, served with crushed potatoes, roasted parsnip & carrot and braised red cabbage. Guinea fowl isn’t something I have often, but it was delightful; so well cooked and perfectly seasoned. The skin was crisp and I’m not ashamed to say I ate that too. The portion size was larger than I was expecting and it proved a hearty feast. Luckily I saved enough room for dessert.
2016, Blogmas, Christmas, Dining, Le Meridien, London, Review, Terrace Grill & Bar, Piccadilly
And what a dessert it was! Even Fran remarked how quickly I ate it... I’ve always had a sweet tooth! We both ordered the same dessert too: chocolate brownie studded with sour cherries, served with a pistachio parfait and praline crumb. The brownie had a lovely fudgy texture and it wasn’t rich at all. The pistachio parfait complemented it well but I wasn’t too fussed about the crumb. That said, I’d demolish the plate again in a heartbeat. I’m not even sure how we managed to save room for the mince pie – but we both ate those as well and finished off the wine.

For £40 each, including the wine, the deal was excellent value and I would definitely recommend The Terrace. I would love to go back and eat a la carte too – and even consider staying at the hotel in the future. We both had a lovely evening it was so nice to go out, outside of the work environment.

Love, Lucy xx

No comments

Post a Comment

Enjoyed this post? Let me know. Leave a comment, or find me on social!
Love, Lucy xx

Professional Blog Designs by pipdig