Mummy Diaries | Autumn Afternoon at Cressing Barns

Cressing Barns, Essex, Day Out, Mummy Dairies, PBloggers, LBloggers
Cressing Barns, Essex, Day Out, Mummy Dairies, PBloggers, LBloggers
Cressing Barns, Essex, Day Out, Mummy Dairies, PBloggers, LBloggers
Wednesday 1 November 2017

I don’t know about you, but I really take where I live for granted. Not so much at the moment, but when I was back living at home mum’s. The village was is beautiful, surrounded by country parks, plenty of places to visit by car and not too far from the seaside. I knew when I moved, I would miss it and wish I’d spent more time outdoors. Which is why I really enjoyed an afternoon at Cressing Barns so much.

Cressing is just north of Witham, northwest of Tiptree and is a historical site, home to three old barns (previously used for barley, wheat and malt), as well as a lovely walled garden and tearoom. The barns can be hired for events, including weddings and craft fairs, but it’s a lovely place to stop by and have a look around – especially if you’re heading to the tearooms (worth the visit alone!).

There’s plenty to see – although not all completely buggy friendly – with smaller buildings to go inside, as well as the barns themselves. Mum did have to wait outside with Alfie a couple of times as I explored. Walking around the gardens were fine though, there’s plenty of space and while the terrain isn’t completely level as you walk around, it was never a problem.
Cressing Barns, Essex, Day Out, Mummy Dairies, PBloggers, LBloggers
Cressing Barns, Essex, Day Out, Mummy Dairies, PBloggers, LBloggers
The gardens were really beautiful and although they’d be better in full bloom, the pumpkin patch gave me all the autumn/Halloween feels! Isn’t it cute? The smells were lovely as we walked, with flowers, fruits and herbs grown everywhere – and even better, everything was labelled! You could also buy small potted plants or packets of seeds for a minimal fee. We didn’t buy any, though.
Cressing Barns, Essex, Day Out, Mummy Dairies, PBloggers, LBloggers
Cressing Barns, Essex, Day Out, Mummy Dairies, PBloggers, LBloggers
And to the tearoom, which even contained products by Wilkin & Sons of Tiptree to purchase. My mum and auntie shared the afternoon tea for two: a selection of sandwiches (they chose brie and coronation turkey, both on granary bread) with a pot of hot gooseberry chutney, scones with clotted cream and Tiptree strawberry preserve and a selection of four cakes/pastries. It looked lovely. The brie was thick cut and there was even a small salad amongst the sandwiches. I helped them out with the cakes, having a piece of red velvet, as well as half a scone. Of course, I had a ploughman’s: slices of ham, turkey, cheddar and brie, with a large salad, apple slices, homemade creamy coleslaw and a fresh cottage loaf roll. In my Tiptree jar was a gorgeous onion chutney – perfect for accompanying the cheese. This was probably one of the best ploughman’s I’d ever had and I even managed to eat it all.

I would definitely return for afternoon tea and another look around, probably in the spring. While the weather was perfect for the time of year – sunny, but crisp – it would be good to see the garden in full bloom. I imagine weddings in the warmer months are particularly beautiful, especially with all the wonderful backdrops... if any of my friends are getting married soon?

Love, Lucy xx

1 comment

Enjoyed this post? Let me know. Leave a comment, or find me on social!
Love, Lucy xx

Professional Blog Designs by pipdig